Sunday, January 29, 2017

It Wasn't Mylar

Surgery took place as planned back on the 18th. Being back at the hospital was indeed hard. I might have cried a bit in the waiting room. I might have cried again post-op.

Surgery itself went well. During the follow-up appointment, my OB told me, and pathology confirmed, I had scar tissue and embedded retained placenta in my uterus. I suppose it's no surprise with what happened.

My OB cleaned everything out. Due to the nature of the scarring (Asherman's), she left behind a balloon catheter for a week. It looked like this:
It was the most miserable thing I've dealt with in this entire journey. In my mind, I'd assumed that everything would stay inside me. I know that sometimes IUDs are used for Asherman's patients, and I've had an IUD that only had a tiny string in my vagina. I just assumed this would be similar.

Nope. Wrong on all counts. First off, that tubing is just slightly smaller than a quarter of an inch. Not at all like the string on an IUD. Having a string the width of a thread coming out of your cervix is a very different experience than having a .25" tube coming out.

Second, the tubing was long. Long enough to go through my cervix, and vagina, and hang a good few inches outside my body. From a practical perspective, that meant that anytime I moved, stood up, sat down, or rolled over, the tubing got pulled on a bit. Tubing that was going through my cervix and into my uterus. Imagine what that might feel like. On second thought, don't. It sucked, no one should deal with that.

Third, there was a hard plastic connector on the end of the tubing. It allows the balloon to be filled with saline. That's great. Except from a practical perspective. From that perspective, no matter which way the tubing points, that hard plastic connector is going to be jabbing you in a sensitive spot of your anatomy.

Finally, surgery made my digestive system unhappy. Consider the logistics of trying to keep a dangling tube and connector out of the way as you deal with what you have to deal with when your digestive system is unhappy. This is especially fun in my case, since I know the bacterial infection that took my girls and led me to this point in my life was largely comprised of bacteria found in the digestive tract. And here was a fucking superhighway going right into my ute.

It sucked. But it's out, and it's over, and now we move on to the next hurdle: figuring out if the surgery worked and if  my tubes are clear. More on that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment