Thursday, August 31, 2017

One Surprising Step Ahead

Today was my MFM consult. Some of it went as I’d have expected, other things were very different. Starting off, the first and biggest recommendation the perinatologist had was to get a pre-pregnancy transabdominal cerclage. With Dr. Haney. I wasn’t expecting that at all, but it turns out she had a patient with an identical history to mine. Lost twins due to pprom. Lost a singleton to IC. Did a TVC and kept culturing and treating the bacteria they found during pregnancy. . . . and still lost that pregnancy. So they sent her for a TAC, and she recently delivered a 39 week baby.

To say that recommendation was a pleasant shock is an understatement. While I was hospitalized and talking to another MFM in the group, he told me we’d place a TVC at 12 weeks during future pregnancies. I had pushed back, hard, on why you’d do a TVC, especially in someone with infection issues, and not TAC. He was adamant about the TVC being the right choice. So to hear the number one recommendation being a TAC, and to be told to go to Haney, that made me feel much, much better about my decision. It also means I'm one step ahead of the game, having already consulted with him and booked surgery.

On the subject of infection, this perinatologist, Dr. N, agreed with Dr. Haney that the underlying cause of both losses was cervical issues. Even though my cervix was long and closed after Zoe’s water broke. Even though Zoe was the higher baby, and bacteria should rupture the lower baby’s membranes first. She truly believes that there’s no scientific benefit or merit in looking for chronic endometritis, and that treating any bacteria found in my uterus that don’t belong there would cause other problems, as she saw in the patient previously mentioned. Having said all that, we pressed really hard and she agreed to request an endometrial biopsy and a consult with the true Infectious Diseases department. So, on 9/6, I go in for my SIS and a biopsy. Based on what those show, we’ll figure out what comes next.

Dr. N mentioned that infectious diseases would probably screen me for various autoimmune issues that interact with infections. With my history, that seemed wise.

On the topic of progesterone, she noted that it’s shown to help in cases of cervical shortening before 24 weeks, but with the TAC I will not have cervical shortening. Thus, she can not see any clinical benefit. At the same time, she’s willing to discuss further/prescribe it, if I get there, because there’s no harm either. The same goes for additional cervical monitoring during pregnancy. No need, but no harm, and there’s something to be said about the positive impact on my anxiety levels.

With respect to my Asherman’s, and my history of autoimmune disorders, that’s unlikely to be related to pPROM. I will have my placenta monitored more closely during future pregnancy to make sure there are no IUGR or placental insufficiency issues caused by the Asherman’s.

So, the plan:
1. During next cycle (which started when I walked out to the parking garage after the appointment) get endometrial biopsy and confirm uterine cavity is clear of scarring. At the moment I’m scheduled for a biopsy and SIS, but that may be replaced by a biopsy and hysteroscopy.
2. Consult with Infectious Diseases. Determine treatment based on biopsy and results.
3. Have TAC placed.
4. Return to CCRM for COH.

DH and I need to talk a bit more, but it’s a plan I feel pretty good about. It may not get us a THB, but I will feel confident that we’ve tried EVERYTHING we could in getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment