Monday, July 30, 2018

Stolen Bases

I'm trying to process through everything related to the frag results. I think the best way I can explain it is via a really lousy sports analogy.

For a long time now, I've been 'taking one for the team.' I've taken one for the good of the team by doing dozens of injections, and blood draws, and enduring far too many transvaginal ultrasounds. I've shoved pills and suppositories into my vagina for months at a time and lived with the raw, swollen state they create. Despite that raw and swollen condition, I've dutifully done my part when our RE tells us to have intercourse repeatedly. I've taken one for the team with all the medication side effects (doxy nausea, prednisone weight gain, estrogen and progesterone mood swings). I've taken one for the team by completely changing my diet - it is July and I have not had one single scoop of ice cream this year. I love ice-cream. Ice-cream brings me joy. I haven't touched it. I haven't touched pretty much anything else that might be inflammatory/high carb/enjoyable/not optimal for fertility. I've gone to acupuncture, which I loathe. I've cut back on my own exercise habits and made time for meditation and fertility yoga. I've risked my career progress by stepping out for dozens of medical appointments. I have done all of this because I wanted our team to be able to win, together. 

Now I find out that my team-mate, who I thought was on my side, has actually been helping the other guys steal bases and telling them the pitches we're going to throw. And he hasn't done that by accident, he's done that because it's felt good to him, so it's a conscious choice. Suddenly I feel completely alone, my entire sense of being a team is gone. Added to that, this season is my last shot at winning the pennant, or the title, or whatever the appropriate award is for this stupid analogy. It's my last shot because my body can't handle any more seasons, no matter how hard I train. But my team mate? He's young and zippy, and with a few months of training he can join a different team with great odds of winning that pennant. And worst of all, I'll still be stuck laundering that team's stinky uniforms and otherwise taking care of the team behind the scenes because they still can't do it without me. I'll still have to take one for the team, if we do DE IVF, even though I'm not a member of the team any longer. 

 That pretty solidly sums it up, although I extend my apologies to any sports fans. I have an appointment with a new therapist today. I think that's good and needed. So much complexity, so much hurt. One of the few silver linings of the last few years to me has been the feeling that DH and I were a better team than we've ever been. It made me feel good about the decision to have kids together. I don't want to be a single mom, in name or in practice, so operating as a team was critical to my desire for kids. All of a sudden, I'm questioning if we really are a team when things are at their hardest - when personal sacrifices have to be made. That hurts so badly. 

 While we haven't talked about it, because I don't think doing so right at this moment would be great for our marriage, I suspect DH is dealing with many emotions, too. Or maybe not. He doesn't read the research, he only listens to me with one ear when I mention it, so maybe he really doesn't understand what a big deal this is. I almost hope that's true. That would be nice. 

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been here with Grey. Feeling hurt and alone when facing the end of the road of me having biological children. It hurt so much more than I could ever describe to people given Grey is someone I wanted beside me on this journey.

    Couples therapy combined with individual therapy helped resolve this for us. I learned Grey was actually hurting as much as I was but pushing me away as he felt he was protecting me. With David’s help, we learned how to navigate this crisis together. It wasn’t easy, given it meant facing some uncomfortable truths, but it helped us come together when we needed to most.

    I’m so sorry that these test results have thrown you both into doubt. It’s the last thing you needed now and I completely understand all you are feeling.

    Drop me a comment if you want to connect via email

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for this. I've been letting what you said "percolate" around in my mind, and it's helpful to know that DH and I aren't the first to walk this path. I'll reach out shortly.

      Delete
  2. I don't really know what to say. I do know the feeling of doing it all myself. And I know the feeling of thinking about DE IVF, and all the conflicting emotions and jealousies (in my case at least).
    And I think our team-mates have similar and different emotions, and don't or won't express them, perhaps because they couldn't even if they wanted to, and perhaps because they just want to be strong and protect us. It's such a horrible time.

    Sending best wishes.

    ReplyDelete