Monday, October 19, 2020

Then There Were Four

To my absolute amazement, of the eight retrieved yesterday, seven were mature. Alas, even with the calcium ionphore, only 4 fertilized. To be fair, 4-5 fertilized was my dream number, since I never expected to get more than 5 mature, so I shouldn't complain. 

Fertilization at 57% is vastly better than our 1 of 5 last time, but slightly worse that the 2 of 3 I've had previously. I don't know if the calcium helped, or not, but I'm glad we did it. Now, we wait. Saturday for the day 6 update. Sunday for the day 7 update. If anyone makes it to biopsy, then another 16-ish days for CCS results. 

In the meantime, a few amazing things have happened. First, I found out that because we didn't get any embryos last time, I have an insurance credit. It will be enough to cover one FET and all meds. That's a savings of at least $7k, which is huge. My mom also offered to cover the bulk of another round of IVF. So the plan is to see if any of our four make blast. If they don't, then I feel good shutting the door on another baby, because clearly our gametes aren't up to the task. If we do make blast, then we'll roll immediately into another retrieval cycle. My numbers have gotten better and better each cycle, so there's a real benefit to charging ahead and not waiting out a cycle or two for CCS results. This is a plan I feel genuinely good about. 

Grow, my magnificent four! Grow, and make blast, and be normal. It's a lot to ask, but I'm asking it anyway. 

2 comments: