Monday, August 7, 2023

Reminder: Check Yourself

 The amazing Mel from Stirrup Queens gives a priceless reminder each week: don't forget to do your backups. In this digital age, that's true, and I'm always grateful for the nudge.

I'll add a different reminder for this week: don't forget to do your skin checks.

Eight or so years ago, my dad's super fancy, doesn't-take-insurance, concierge doctor was doing an exam and noticed a small spot behind his ear. It was a location he'd never have seen on a self check, because even with a mirror, you can't really see the top, back, outside of your ear. He was in his 60's at the time. She told him she didn't really think it was anything, but she was going to biopsy it just to be safe. The biopsy came back as melanoma. 

I had always been skeptical of the ideal of concierge medicine. That said, no provider operating under insurance guidelines that compensate for approximately 32.5 seconds per patient would have spent the time to catch and biopsy that spot. I strongly believe my dad is still here today, albeit with slightly less of his ear, because his doctor was so thorough. 

Anyhow, that diagnosis, combined with my own pale, mole and freckle covered skin, earned me annual derm visits to check my skin for any concerning areas. I went in for this year's visit, 6 months late because my original appointment was booked for the day I had norovirus, then my rescheduled appointment was the day I had COVID. I had a spot of minor concern to me on my forehead. Turned out to be pre-cancerous. I now have a very ugly freezer-burn mark on my forehead, but hopefully won't find myself with squamous cell carcinoma in a few years. 

If you are a category at risk, schedule your skin check, it's worth the time and cost. If you're not sure if you're a category at risk, ask your doctor.

1 comment:

  1. We must have very similar skin - freckle and mole covered. My father had skin cancer (he was a farmer out in the sun forever, with very pale skin) and it metastasized. I get regular checks, although I'm overdue now. I need to go again - soon. Hope yours heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete