Monday, May 18, 2020

Body of Work

My body and I have never been overly fond of each other. I was largely raised by an amazing grandmother who practiced food as love. I had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I had a thyroid tumor irradiated during college. As a result, my pre-pregnancy weight has bounced from a high school low of 115 to a grad school high somewhere around 160 (I stopped getting on the scale after 155).

When I got engaged, I decided to clean up my act and vowed never to go above 125 again. I kept that vow until pregnancy. Still, even at my lowest weight, even at my fittest, I have always been ashamed of how I look. I finished my first bike century in 2015, and felt so good about myself until the moment I sat down in the car and looked at my thighs. My immediate thought was “those look like walruses. Sure you can ride 100 miles, but maybe if you rode without eating so much, something good would come from it.” Even as I thought it, I knew just how fucked up it was, but I couldn’t stop the thought.

At the start of each pregnancy, I was 118. With A and T, my weight gain topped at 23 pounds. I stress ate my way through their NICU stay and came home at 127. I reached 124 by the time I returned to work. I was 120 by their first birthday. I’m 116 now.

Writing that down, it looks awesome. I, on the other hand, do not look awesome.

This 116 is not a good 116. Yes, my arms rock, from carrying around 20+ pound babies. My back is stronger. I can do lunges (to stand while holding a baby) like nobody’s business. I’m fit enough to walk the 5 mile around-the-lake-loop in 16 minute miles and then do another 3 miles with the babies in the stroller later in the day. But that’s where the good ends. My middle? My middle is just thick. I don’t look 116 in my middle. I look pregnant in my middle.

Here’s the thing: as upset as I am at my body, I am even more upset at my mind for being upset with my body. I *hate* that this takes up headspace. Further, I look at T and I would do just about anything to keep her from experiencing the self-hatred that I feel. I practice positive mental self talk. I practice observing without judging: “Hey, look, it’s a body” vs “Hey, look, I’m tubby.” The farthest I’ve been able to come after years of this is to instantly recognize that my negative self talk isn’t helpful and to occasionally observe without judging. Having this new post-partum body, though, that’s reduced the observe without judging ability. Turns out I was only observing without judging when I was thinner.

Because of my daughter, I will keep trying. Because I want her to have a healthy relationship with her own body. And with food. Because of my daughter I will tell my mom, bluntly, to STFU when she ‘jokingly’ comments that T needs to stop drinking so many bottles because she’s got a big belly. (Yes, she said this before T was 1. Yes, I told her to STFU. Yes, I see where my issues might have come from.) Maybe I’ll be able to make progress again. Maybe not. I heard that wisdom comes with age, so maybe greater acceptance will too. That said, I’m still waiting on my wisdom!

5 comments:

  1. The relationship with our bodies is so hard...I am truly envious of people who seem to have true self-acceptance. I really think that we are programmed to always see our faults, and then we look back on pictures and go, "What the hell was I complaining about then?" (or at least I do.) I have always had a belly, probably in part due to the whole PCOS nonsense, but the last time I weighed anything under 150 (with the exception of a brief obsessive-walking and smoking-too-much period during my divorce) since high school. But even at my skinniest I was running track and still had my "buddha belly." It is so hard to love that, even though I try.

    I'm glad you told your mom to STFU about the extra bottles comment. My best friend said that she tries so hard not to make comments in front of her daughter, because she remembers seeing her mom in front of a mirror complaining about her "thunder thighs" (her mom weighed MAYBE 100 lbs) and thinking that if her mom was big, she must be too. It's hard to avoid those messages that are passed down generation to generation.

    Wishing you peace and wisdom and acceptance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds so familiar. My mom, at 95 pounds, will routinely grab her stomach and complain about her 'flab'. I've always inferred that if my 95 pound mom is flabby, then I must be a veritable Jabba the Hutt. It doesn't help that my mom is also vocally judgmental of random strangers' bodies. Last winter we passed a guy who was jogging, shirtless, in the snow and sub-freezing temperatures. My immediate reaction, aloud, was "Damn, he's brave." - speaking about the cold. My mom replied "Yes, but he shouldn't be shirtless" - speaking about his belly. Really? The dude is out there jogging in 30 degree weather, and instead of cheering him on, you're going to bash him? On one hand I don't understand the mentality, and on the other, it's so ingrained from being raised that way, I have to work hard to avoid it myself. :(

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I could have written something like this. I think we fail to see the damage done to us by others criticizing our bodies until we start seeing it through the eyes of others. I'm glad you're recognizing the negative self-talk and thinking about how to counter it. Shutting your mom down is an important step in that process (and I hope you had a long conversation with her about how damaging those remarks are). I think Jess's insight is profound, which is part of the acceptance is also embracing our bodies for what is good and what they do for us. And that takes time.

    Hugs to you as you navigate this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another "ditto"from me! My mother used to constantly complain about her "pot belly" when I've never known her to be anything but slim/skinny. It caused a complex - and I sadly look back at my teenage years when I worried about my own belly, when I was actually underweight, fit and active, or in my twenties, when I was slightly heavier, but still a good healthy weight. Can I suggest you step away from the scales?

    On the plus side, your daughter has a huge advantage - you're conscious of the pressures, and the damage negative comments can make. But there's always that battle with society. Good luck from a fellow sufferer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stepping away from the scale would be wise, but is probably a step farther than I'm capable of taking right now. I did find a fantastic NYT Parenting article about building healthy food habits (https://www.nytimes.com/article/kids-healthy-eating-habits.html), and I'm going to keep that in mind as I go forward. Food/weight/perception/emotion are all so connected and so tough to sort out.

      Delete