Wednesday, November 21, 2018

18 weeks

I'm not a fan of 18 weeks. 18 weeks in 2016 was the day I went into labor. 18 weeks in 2017 was the day I started bleeding. 18 weeks is not my favorite gestational age. Yesterday was 18 weeks. Every week is another milestone, so that part is good, but this one is scary. I'm feeling better, I'm starting to work out again ever so gently. All of those things happened right before SHTF* in 2016 and 2017. I suspect it's just coincidence/gestational age, but . . . scary. So, celebrating each moment, here's my 18 week update, and I'm hoping there will be a cheery, SHTF-less 19 week update.


How far? 18 weeks
Measuring? On track as of last ultrasound
Size? Bell peppers
Heartbeat? My OB didn't give me the readings, but said both were great at my appointment.
Total weight gain/loss: Up 13 to 131. I'm happy with the number, but concerned that now I'm gaining too fast. I'm finally feeling well enough to eat normally again, so I'm back to higher protein, more veggies. It's a nice change.
Maternity: Very much so! I bought some new clothes, but I won't even open the bags until I've made it through 18 weeks.
Stretch marks: Nothing new yet.
Sleep: Still with the crazy dreams. Not loving that. Otherwise, no different from non-pregnant me: up every few hours to pee.
Movements? Definitely in the last several days. Or it's really bad gas. I think it's babies, though. With the anterior placentas, I can't feel them with my hand the way I could feel Quinn at 18 weeks, but I'm pretty sure the tappings are from them and not just my digestive system!
Cravings? No. Finally moving back to my more normal diet - seafood, veggies. Slightly higher carb and calorie than before, tho.
Gender: One boy, one girl.
Miss? I'm finally starting to feel better, and now that I've reached a point where I'm not 100% consumed by nausea, I miss working out. I'm walking again, but I'm slow, my flexibility is completely gone, and I can't do anything higher impact without getting my heart rate too high or violating the 'lift no more than 10 pounds' restrictions that I'm on.
Looking forward to? Viability on New Year's Day. Getting to week 19, and past the 18 week milestone. Getting to see them again at our comprehensive ultrasound next week. 
Feeling? This is getting better, as long as I stay on the Reglan. The nausea sometimes actually fades so much I don't notice it. The burps and heartburn are back with a vengeance (thanks, progesterone), but I can cope slightly better with those. The two days I tried to stop reglan saw me back to heavy nausea and retching, so I think I need to stay a bit longer.
Comparisons to last time? When I was hospitalized with Quinn, I would often feel my belly get hard, then soft. I was told it was uterine irritability. I have that same thing every single morning now. Hard belly when I first wake up and am lying in bed. Eventually it gets soft again. My doctor said a few times a day is safe, call in if it happens a few times an hour. The comparison to last time scares me. I need these babies to be ok. I need them to survive and be healthy. No other options are acceptable, and uterine irritation this early is just scary and a bad sign. Next cervical length check is over a week away.

Just for fun, here's a blurry 18 week bump photo. I'm having some body image issues, but I'm so glad the babies and I are growing!


*SHTF = Shit Hits the Fan

2 comments:

  1. White knuckling it with you. Take each day as a new milestone. Do all you need to do to get through this period. I'm sorry it's so scary (and you have good reason for these feelings) and I'm sending you love as you navigate all of this. You've done everything you can to protect this current pregnancy, going to measures most have never heard of. Hang in there lady. Today you are pregnant and you are fighting every day to bring these two home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "White knuckling it" is the absolute most perfect description! Today at 18.4, I am more than half way to c-section and I"m trying to hold onto that for this moment. Maybe my "grip" will relax next year! :)

      Delete