Sunday, June 19, 2016

Before and After

So, I love me a good before & after picture. Home reno before and after? Yes! Haircut before and after? Check! Recipe ingredients before to beautiful meal after? Bring it on! Today's before and after might not be for everyone. Today's before is my uterus at the start of the operative hysteroscopy. The after is my uterus after the scar tissue was cleaned up. If you don't enjoy viewing pictures of people's internal organs, don't scroll down.


So, here's the before photo. It looks rather like a tunnel, no? To the left and right are the ostia, or the openings to the fallopian tubes. From what the doctor explained, some of the white patches are scar tissue. Overall, there isn't much white where it shouldn't be, which means there wasn't much scar tissue from the January d&c.


Now for the after photo. In this photo, you can see everything is smooth and pink. There's less scar tissue, and the pink suggests that my endometrium is healthy and should be capable of a pregnancy.

There are two layers of endometrium in a healthy uterus, a basal layer, which remains at all time, and a functional layer, which is shed monthly. We're pretty sure I have trouble with my functional layer not getting thick enough, or having the correct pattern, to support a pregnancy. However, based on these photos, which were taken May 23rd, there shouldn't be anything blocking my uterus. This is what makes Friday's HSG so inexplicable.

At this point, I'm praying for an answer that isn't the end of our journey, and I'm focusing on the after picture, because it looks like it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment