Friday, June 24, 2016

Verdict is. . . .

There are times when I feel truly bad for medical professionals. They spend years, decades even, studying and training. They continue learning as they practice and complete CE. Still, the human body is an amazingly complex system, and not every human's complexities follow an expected pattern. That means there are times when the best explanation a medical professional can give is, "I don't know" or "It doesn't make sense."

So, what was the outcome of my follow up appointment? Well, the saline sono, taken in early May, and the HSG from last Friday both suggest a horrendous case of Asherman's syndrome. But both of those are imaging techniques that don't directly visualize the uterus. The hysteroscopy, with photos taken after the saline sono but before the HSG, shows a normal uterus. The surgical notes written by the doctor who performed it didn't indicate any evidence of Asherman's, or anything other than mild scarring. The actual pictures should be the gold standard, but they are completely inconsistent with the sono and HSG. So the verdict? "It doesn't make sense."

Where does that leave us? Well, we could keep doing tests. Maybe we'd start getting consistent results, maybe not. Either way, we've now done all the tests that can be done, so we'd have to start repeating things. Verdict: probably not enough incremental value to be worth the drawbacks. Alternately, we can go back to the original plan: an injectable cycle in July, with monitoring of lining and follicles. Verdict: This approach will should tell us how my lining responds, which is a critical part of the question. The risk is that it won't tell us if both tubes are open. We could spend the money and the time on the cycle, and ovulate on the left side, where we don't know if my tube is open.

Total cost of more testing versus an injectable cycle will probably be similar. If they run multiple tests, that would be more expensive. It all comes down to a question of what really matters? And what really matters is: can I grow a lining that will support an embryo? Going the injectable route should answer that, because if I do have severe Asherman's syndrome, I won't grow sufficient lining no matter what medications they throw at me. If my uterus is healthy enough to grow a lining, it probably means the HSG was flawed, and I'm not as worried about tubal patency.

So, we will try the old fashioned way this cycle. We'll pray for a healthy, fully implanted embryo out of that. If I do get a positive test, we'll monitor the hell out of it! I am not optimistic, since I've had continued spotting since the HSG, but hey, I'm not going to turn down the excuse to spend some quality time with DH. ;) If this cycle doesn't work out, I call C.CRM on Day 1 and go in for Day 2 or 3 labs and an ultrasound, and then we start drugs and see what happens.

How will it all work out? Well, I'll give the most common answer from my own profession, which also deals with human beings and their irregularities: "It depends!"

No comments:

Post a Comment