Friday, February 24, 2017

Worst Days of My Life, part II

I left the hospital on Monday. At that point, I had an ultrasound appointment scheduled for Wednesday, to make sure the girls were both still alive. My doctors scheduled it at my request, because I was so upset and wanted to know that I hadn’t already lost one or both babies. If we made it until the following Monday, my anatomy scan was scheduled for that day – 18 weeks and 1 day.

The days at home were brutal. I was in so much pain. My digestive system remained in haywire mode and I was in so much pain that there were times I couldn’t make it back to my bed from the bathroom. I just had to stop and lay on the floor and try to breathe. I’ve had long standing issues with my digestive system that I was told would require surgery one day. Everything that was happening exacerbated them, making the pain even worse. The fact that I had to remain sitting down all day compounded it further. There’s nothing like having a sore bum and not being able to get off it.

I had been told that babies can continue to replenish their fluid, so I was drinking as much water as I could. That meant that every single time I moved at all, water would leak out of me. It was constant, and I was constantly wet. As the days passed, the rash on my hands spread, and eventually wound up covering my bottom as well. My OB said dermatitis, and told me to use aquaphor on my hands, but that seemed to make it worse. It was really just one more type of pain along with the rest, but it sucked because it meant that I couldn’t hold DH’s hand.

Tuesday morning came and we breathed a small sigh of relief, because there were no signs of labor, and my temperature was still looking normal. We’d crossed the 48 hour milestone. The next one would be one week. If we made it a full week with no infection, there was a good chance of keeping the babies in, at least until viability at 24 weeks. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that, since I knew babies born at 24 weeks face incredible struggles. Only about half survive, and a large percentage of the survivors have permanent impairments due to prematurity. I didn’t want that for my girls, but I certainly didn’t want to lose them, either, so mentally it was tough. I spent many hours out of each day holding my belly, talking to them, and telling them to stay put, stay healthy, and keep growing. I must have told them their dad and I loved them about a thousand times over that week.

Throughout all of this, my family was AMAZING. They got a mini fridge, and moved that and a toaster over up to my bedroom, so I could get myself food. They moved a big armchair up to the bedroom, looking out the window, so I could sit and watch the antics of our squirrels as they tried to eat all the crab apples from our crab apple tree. They cooked the most amazing food. And something that touched me an insane amount: they got a folding table and chairs, and brought it up to the bedroom so that we could eat meals together. That one bit of ‘normal’ made so much of a difference to me. I was in pain. I couldn’t eat much. I felt awful. But it was still so wonderful to sit with the people I loved and have a normal lunch or dinner.

My friends were also awesome. They sent me a ton of things to keep me busy on bed rest – coloring, books, candy. They checked in on me all the time. You can see LBG and one of the coloring books here, along with my chair looking out the window. This was pretty much my view for that week. Bed and the chair.


To our relief, Wednesday’s ultrasound showed both girls were still alive, but Zoe’s AFI was only .6. Knowing that we needed a value of 2 or greater to develop her lungs was tough. The check showed no sign of infection, so we headed home to continue to wait.

Thursday I woke up ok, but my temp went up to 99.2 at 2 pm. I called my OB’s office, and was told to stay home unless it broke 100.5, but that they’d schedule a Friday appointment to check me out. Thursday afternoon I hit 100 exactly, and thought the end was probably near. By 2 am Friday, I was down to 99.2, and I was back to 98.6 at 7 am Friday. At the appointment, my temp was normal and as I had no uterine pain and no foul discharge, I was sent home again, with instructions to keep monitoring things and come back for my anatomy scan as planned on Monday. Our next milestone was going to be Sunday morning, and we were all hoping I’d make it there.

Sunday morning I woke up in pain like always. I feel like I’m being a whiny baby complaining about it, but the pain was so severe that it really became my entire world. Pain, leaking water, fear, and gratitude for my family was pretty much all there was during that week. I don’t know why, because nothing at all was different, but I had the very clear thought on Sunday morning that I was almost to the end. I’d been telling myself the whole time that I could live with this overwhelming pain for the next four months if it meant saving Alexis and giving Zoe a chance, but Sunday morning I had this feeling that I wasn’t going to have that option. I reminded myself that Sunday was a week out, my temperature was still good and I’d stopped bleeding. The only thing that was leaking was clear, metallic smelling fluid, and that meant our chances were better than ever. That didn’t stop the feeling.

Sunday proceeded like a normal day. Breakfast and lunch with the family. Lots of water. Diarrhea. Pain. Leaking fluid. Sometime around 2 or 3, though, leaking fluid turned into another gush. I got up, and more fluid soaked through the pad I had on. I changed, but it happened a second time, at which point I called DH and told him we should head to the hospital, because I thought Alexis’ water had probably broken, too. DH, MIL, my dad and I all got in the car with a bag for my husband, and headed in. I called my OB’s office and left another message. Like the previous week, they called back while we were en-route and let me know that L&D would be expecting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment