Saturday, December 10, 2016

And So It Begins

I headed back to the RE’s office last week. While I have no intention of trying again until March or April, I’ve missed so much time from work that I wanted to get the appointment in before I returned to the office and would have to leave early to take it.

I’ve said it before and will say it again: I have the utmost respect for my RE, her knowledge, and her skill in this field. I feel confident that my treatment plan reflects the most up-to-date science, and that my input is consistently considered. I would highly recommend her to anyone else.

I have less confidence in some of the information that comes from the (otherwise wonderful) nursing staff. Case in point: DH and I both had communicable disease screening done last June/July. The nurse I’m communicating with told me that we’ll both need to be retested.

Now, I had several blood transfusions due to hemorrhage after delivering the girls, so I don’t mind being retested, although it’s been far less than a year and I’ll have to pay out of pocket. But I couldn’t understand why DH would need more testing. We don’t have  MFI, so we get to try to get pregnant the quasi-old fashioned way: drugs, ultrasounds, and sex. DH will be going nowhere near the RE’s office, and will therefore pose a risk to no one but me. Thus, I asked why he needed to be tested.
The nurse informed me that it’s an FDA requirement, because “he might expose you [me] to something.”

At first, I was righteously indignant at the FDA. In the first place, they have no business in my sex life. In the second place, do they really think that the only way I’ll be “exposed” is if I have treatment? They are protecting me from exactly nothing. Finally, why in the bloody hell should the government force me to pay for testing just because I need injections and ultrasounds to get/stay pregnant?

But after being indignant for a while, I went searching for the actual government regulation. Because I’m a) curious, and b) stuck at home in pain with nothing better to do. You know what I found? 21 CFR 1271.90 (2), which is the regulation that requires testing for “human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products” (aka sperm/egg/gamete donations) specifically exempts “Reproductive cells or tissue donated by a sexually intimate partner of the recipient for reproductive use”. In other words, DH should not need to be tested. (Should anyone be aware of other relevant regulations, please let me know. In all my searching this was the only thing I could find.)


Thus, the bullshittery of frustration, bad information, incompetence (wait until my next post about good ‘ol CVS Caremark), and frustration has begun again. Happy f-ing New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment