Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Cheers!

Well, that's interesting. Up until last cycle, I've ovulated day 15 or 17.  During the first three or four cycles of TTC, I started using OPKs on CD10 and typically had a lot of negatives before I got something dark enough to consider it a positive. I don't ever get resounding positives, but I've learned what the maximum darkness I can expect is, and how that typically correlates with the temperature shift that signals ovulation.

In addition to OPKs, I track my basal body temperature and other fertility signs. The one challenge I have is extremely broken sleep. I'm up every two hours or so, and when gathering basal body temperatures for fertility purposes, it's ideal to have 4 to 5 hours of unbroken sleep. Hah! Wouldn't I love that? Still, most of the time I temp around 2:20 am (after a midnight wakeup, and before a 4:something wakeup), and I always see pre and post-ovulation patterns.

Anyhow, with CD15-17 ovulation, I decided it was a waste to start testing so early. I get a little neurotic wondering if I won't ovulate for some reason, and the early negatives make that worse. Thus, for the last two cycles, I didn't use an OPK until CD12. Last cycle, to my surprise, I ovulated on CD14. With the hysteroscopy last week, I expected that ovulation might be delayed this cycle, so again I waited until CD12 to use an OPK. It was about as dark as they ever get for me. This leaves me wondering: did I ovulate on CD 12/13?

You would think my temp could help answer this question, right? I say again, Hah! Yesterday I woke up at 1:00 and 3:30, instead of 2:20. My 1:00 am temperature was normal for pre-ovulation, my 3:30 am temperature was normal for post-ovulation. Only time will tell if it stays up and I ovulated or not, but I can't find any evidence of women having early ovulation after operative hysteroscopy, so I'm perplexed for now. What I wouldn't given for a moment-by-moment understanding of what's happening inside me!

Perhaps the explanation is that I did something this cycle that I almost never do. I had several glasses of wine. Since we are benched from surgery and I figured ovulation would be delayed, I had some of a really nice bottle of zin with a dinner out on Saturday, CD10. My Sunday morning temp was up at post-o levels, which is what happens when I drink. I didn't have anything to drink Monday night, so alcohol doesn't explain the high temp today. It does make me wonder if the alcohol impacted ovulation? Either way, it was worth it. That 2008 Rombauer Fiddletown was magnificent!


No comments:

Post a Comment