Friday, May 20, 2016

What's Half of "I Told You So"?

Two Fridays ago, I had my saline sonogram. This entailed filling my uterine cavity with saline and then using ultrasound to determine if anything was amiss. It was scheduled for CD13 for me. Going in, I would have bet on two findings. Coming out, it turns out I would have been half correct.

Bet #1: Thin uterine lining. Result: Nailed that one. The ultrasound showed one beautiful 20mm follicle, ready to go in another day. My lining, however, was less than half the thickness it should have been. Outcome: To be confirmed, but I expect I’ll be getting some hormonal support in the future.

Bet #2: Everything else will look fine. Result: Nope. At first things looked picture-perfect, teardrop shaped. Then the ultrasound reached the top of my uterus and discovered something, that, after further inspection, appears to run the full length of the right side. It might be a fibroid or polyp, but it’s probably scar tissue from the January d&c. Research shows that nearly 20% of surgical abortions result in uterine adhesions and scar tissue. I should not be shocked to fall directly in the 20%. Whatever it is, it doesn’t belong. Outcome: I win surgery to remove it. The ultrasound photos below show the thing that doesn’t belong.




Overall, these two factors combined provide a logical explanation for the two chemical pregnancies. The extent of the whatever that’s in my uterus could easily disrupt implantation. I’d like to say that this gives me hope that maybe we’ve found the cause of these losses, can fix it, and will have no further trouble with getting and staying pregnant. I’d like to say that, but I really can’t. Three back to back losses have taught me that hope is not a good thing. Hope makes you hurt. So, for now, I’ll focus on next steps, not expect any better outcomes, and be positively thrilled if a sticky pregnancy arises from all of this.

Speaking of next steps, the plan is to do a surgical hysteroscopy, and use a morcellator to remove the whatever. If it’s scar tissue, they’ll leave a balloon catheter in place when they’re done, to prevent reformation of scar tissue. I go in for surgery on the 23rd. Post-op appointment is June 15, so I hope to be cleared at that time. In the meantime, I’ll keep up diet, supplements, and exercise. I don’t know if they make a difference, but this was the first cycle in my life that I’ve ovulated on day 14, and that was the first positive I’ve had in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment