Saturday, October 7, 2017

Lessons from Surgery

I realized last night that having had seven surgeries in less than two years, I might have some advice that's helpful to anyone else preparing to go through gynecological surgery. Thus, here are my "credentials" and also my experiences/advice.

Surgeries since 1/18/16:

  1. D&C for missed miscarriage - Jan 16
  2. Operative hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and retained POC from missed miscarriage - May 16
  3. Emergency D&C due to postpartum hemorrhage - Nov 16. To be fair, they did two of these, since I Started to hemorrhage again while in recovery before regaining consciousness.
  4. Operative hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and retained POC from losing the twins - Feb 17
  5. Rescue cerclage placement - July 17
  6. Operative hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and retained POC from losing Quinn - Sept 17
  7. Operative hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue and retained POC from losing Quinn - Oct 17
Things I have learned throughout this process. These may only apply to me, but I thought it was worth sharing:
  • If you can, get a morning surgery. Going without food until an afternoon time slot makes an unpleasant day worse.
  • Be aware that even though you're groggy, you'll have awful insomnia starting around midnight the night of/after the anesthesia (this applies only to the general anesthesia and not the spinal)
  • Be aware that you'll stay groggy the day AFTER surgery.
  • Know that it's ok to ask to have the IV placed in your arm, not your hand - often that hurts less. Either way, plan on about a week of bruising from it.
  • Expect 2-3 days of sore throat from the anesthesia. How sore will depend on how long you were under. 
  • If you're allowed, plan on a shower as soon as you get home - different hospitals do a better or worse job of cleaning up the betadine they use on you, expect that you'll still be orange in a few places until you can shower. 
  • If you're outpatient, be aware that the doctor will tell the person you came with the outcome of the surgery. This means that if you have specific questions you want answered, make sure to tell that person. I expect my DH to know what's going on and ask the right questions, but in reality, all he's able to process without specific guidance is, "It went well."
  • Wear comfy clothes and a bra that are easy to get back on. At the hospital, a nurse dressed me while I was in post-op. At the surgical center, I had to dress myself in the tiny pre-op/recovery room. In either situation, you want easy to doff/don clothing. 
  • If you get cold easily, bring a jacket you can throw over your shoulders while waiting. Yes, hospitals and surgical centers have warm blankets, but they're often about 2" by 2", so it's tough to really bundle up! My local hospital offers a warming gown, but the surgical center doesn't, so having a jacket over my shoulders while waiting to be taken back for surgery was awesome.
  • Have a pain management discussion with your doctor before you go under. My first two surgeries, I was given narcotic painkillers and rx strength ibuprofen. I never needed the narcotics, I did appreciate the rx strength ibuprofen. Surgeries 4, 6 and 7 we never discussed pain management, and since I can't take NSAIDs, I went without once home. That's ok by me, but if it's not ok with you, be sure to discuss with your Dr.  
  • Have a plan for what to do when you get home. My plan is Netflix under a blanket on the sofa, but figure out what low-energy thing will be a treat for you, and have it ready.  
Most of all, my advice is that you CAN get through this, no matter how scary it seems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment