Tuesday, October 31, 2017

When Formalin is Not Your Friend (aka: Biopsy #3)

In general, I like my OB. Far more important than liking her, I think she's competent and will work with me on my care. Yesterday was not, however, one of our finer days together.

I went in for what I hope will be my last biopsy. She asked if I wanted to get three samples again: one for histology, one to culture for bacteria, and one to culture for yeast. Only the histology was positive last time, so it was reasonable to ask if I wanted to go through the unpleasantness of three samples. On one hand, I really hoped there was no need, and had no expectation of a need for bacteria or yeast cultures. On the other hand, if the histology comes back positive, I don't want to have to wait for another cycle to get another biopsy for bacterial culture. So we agreed to get three samples again.

She got three samples. I got up and got dressed. Just as I was about to walk out, she came back in and told me she'd put all three in formalin by accident, and you can't culture a sample that's been in formalin. If I wanted bacteria and yeast cultures, I'd have to do another biopsy.

Bloody hell.

Since we'd already run a catheter into my uterus once for the initial biopsy, it increased the chances of pushing in new bacteria and getting a false positive. Also, those biopsies are no bloody fun. I didn't want another. So I declined.

Let's hope the histology comes back negative for CE.

Other interesting notes:
October 30, 2016 was the day my water broke with the twins. During the biopsy, I mentioned to my OB that it happened a year ago. She commented that it must have been scary for me, and that she was scared, specifically that she was scared during my delivery a week later. I knew things were bad during delivery, but hearing that they were bad enough for my OB to be scared. . . I guess that's why my Dad, who saw them wheel me out to surgery that day, encouraged me to think about my own health before continuing to try to get pregnant.

I've had bleeding since the biopsy. More bleeding than my last period. I'm trying to tell myself that it's a good sign that my lining isn't shot. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's giving me hope so I'll hold to it!

I told my OB that if I'm able to get pregnant again, I'll be coming to see her pretty early on, since I'll want the NIPT referral as early as possible due to the TAC. She told me she's happy to see me weekly if I'm pregnant again. She may regret saying that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment