Thursday, January 18, 2018

Cerclage - Two Month Update

It's now been over two months since the cerclage surgery, and I thought I would write an update for anyone interested.

Barring last week, when I had accidental gluten exposure and was back in stabbing abdominal pain with extreme bloating, by 7.5 weeks after surgery, I finally felt mostly normal. That was the point when the last of the abdominal swelling and tenderness finally went away. The only part of me that still "reminds" me of the surgery is my incision site. My favorite leggings, which I wear as a base layer, have a horizontal seam that hits exactly where my incision is. On days I wear those leggings, I have incision soreness. Otherwise, no issues.

Although I started with 10 minute, light cardio about three weeks after surgery (I called it 'turtle mode'), by 6.5 weeks out, I was back to having regular, hard-core cardio workouts. By 8 weeks out, sex was finally totally normal and enjoyable. By this week, about 10 weeks out, I am doing abdominal workouts without regretting it after. . . .or at least without regretting it any more than normal!

Overall, it's been a much longer, harder recovery than I expected. As I mentioned previously, I suspect that may be due to accidental gluten consumption the night before surgery. That would explain why my digestive system, which had been fine the previous day, already looked awful when Dr. Haney cut me open. It's a reminder that I need to be more careful with my eating. I had a single bite of something that contained trace amounts of wheat, and spent a full week in pain. Although it wasn't intentional ingestion, it was definitely not worth it!

I've asked myself, quite a few times since November, if the surgery was "worth it." I think the answer remains 'yes'. Even if fertility treatments fail, there will always be the possibility of spontaneous pregnancy. The long recovery now is worth the possibility that I may some day be pregnant, and won't have to worry about my cervix. Would an easier recovery have made the "worth it" call easier? Sure! But even though it's sucked, it still gives me peace of mind that I wouldn't trade. How often do you get that when dealing with loss and IF?

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad you are feeling so much better. Wow about the gluten exposure. Nothing to joke about. May you continue to heal and feel better. My fingers are crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete