Thursday, September 14, 2017

Endometrial Biopsy & SIS

Last week I went in for an endometrial biopsy and SIS. I've had two previous saline sonograms, so I knew what to expect from that: place speculum, swab cervix with betadine, insert catheter through cervix, remove speculum, insert ultrasound wand, push saline into uterus through catheter while scanning uterine cavity, remove wand, remove catheter, gush water on table/floor, done. I've always had bleeding right after and at least a few days of red/brown spotting following a SIS. That said, the worst part of it is always the speculum, and the rest, while not fun, has not been painful or extremely unpleasant. (Note: I can't say the same of the results, which have always sucked.)

Last week's SIS was no different, but I wasn't sure what to expect from the endometrial biopsy. I've seen ladies who reported it wasn't a big deal, while others said it was extremely painful. The scheduling nurse told me to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen an hour before, but I can't tolerate NSAIDs, so I went with 600 mg of Tylenol and half a valium that expired in 2013.

The TL;DR summary: the worst part was still the speculum.

In my case, they needed to take two separate biopsy samples. The speculum was placed, my cervix was swabbed with betadine, then my doctor went to get the first sample. I have a tilted uterus, so she had the sonographer do a transabdominal ultrasound so she could visualize the sample she was getting. I was told to expect some sharp cramping, but didn't feel too much - maybe because I was distracted by the discomfort from the speculum. She got the first sample and passed it off to the waiting nurse. She went back for the second one - same warning, that there would be sharp cramping. I won't say I felt nothing, but I can honestly say what I felt wasn't pain, just discomfort. I did a lot of yoga breathing and kept waiting for it to get worse, and it never did. After she passed the second sample to the nurse, we moved on to the SIS.

Since the biopsy came back positive for CE, I expect I'll have to do a repeat in a month or two. I won't look forward to it, but I also won't dread it the way I'm dreading the stent placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment