Friday, September 1, 2017

CCRM, Again

My other appointment for the week was back with CCRM. None of the other issues matter if we can’t get pregnant again. With my one follicle response to 2400+ iU of FSH in February, I wasn’t sure what our odds of another pregnancy are. That’s especially true as I turn 38 in October. I wanted to get Dr. B’s take, find out how she’d treat us, get her input regarding chronic endometritis, and make sure she didn’t see a concern about the TAC. Thus, off to another appointment. Here are notes on what we heard.

  1. We make good embryos. We have success during cycles that seem improbable. We should be able to get pregnant again. (Hah, famous last words!)
  2. Consider a gestational carrier. (Dr. N suggested this as well, but thinks with the TAC we don’t need one.) The challenge would be getting enough euploid embryos, but Dr. B thinks we could accomplish that. No matter what, she’ll up my dosages aggressively for my next cycle.
  3. Check out the ute more thoroughly. Instead of the saline sono we have scheduled, do a diagnostic hysteroscopy. Do this before the TAC so there aren’t issues.
  4. Be really aware of what a TAC means if you have a second tri loss. She’s treated patients with TACs who have been successful in subsequent pregnancies and those who haven’t. Hysterotomy to end the pregnancy is substantial surgery.
  5. Related to #4, be aware that at 38, the risk of genetic abnormalities goes up. Be prepared for that. 
  6. Up my meds. Start with 150 menopur, 300 FSH, and use cetrotide if lead follicle(s) grow too fast. Target 3-4 follicles. Consider priming in advance of the cycle. 
  7. She supports doing a longer course of doxy, starting prior to the cycle, if we push for that. 


If she thinks we can get pregnant again, and Dr. Haney did too, then I think proceeding with the TAC is the right call. I can’t speak to our embryo quality, having never seen one, but our three daughters were beautiful, and that I can speak to!

As for the gestational carrier, my logical side knows that would be our best chance at a living child. They’re all right about that. However, between the cost of IVF and surrogacy, we’re talking around $100k. That same logical side, the one that created a 20 page Excel workbook to track all our finances each year, that side can’t get on board with that much money, after the tens of thousands we’ve already spent, for a chance at bringing a baby home. Because nothing is guaranteed, even a gestational carrier. So, my ute it is.

My SIS and endometrial biopsy are next Wednesday. Wish me luck? Also, I have to get meds ordered from CVS Caremark. I'm certain that will be more painful than the biopsy. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment