Monday, December 4, 2017

Shameful Confession

It's time to make a shameful confession. I eat pretty healthy. I make most of my food myself. I avoid most refined sugars/flours/etc. But, <deep breath>, I hate sweet potatoes.

"What?" you say, "But they're good for you!" "They taste great!" "Everyone loves sweet potatoes!"

I told you this was going to be a shameful confession! Can't stand sweet potatoes. Until now. I finally found a recipe that's anti-inflammatory, healthy, and tastes amazing. And. . .it uses sweet potatoes!

I know this isn't a cooking blog, but what the heck, I'm sharing anyhow. This is based off of Laura Lea's Sweet Potato and Kale Eggy Muffin cups. I highly recommend her site for more ideas. I have her cookbook and love it.



Sweet Potato, Kale and Mushroom Frittata

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1" slices
2 cups mushrooms
2 Tbs coconut oil
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped into 1" pieces
3/4 tsp sweet, smoked paprika
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
10 eggs/egg equivalent
1/3 cup grated cheese (manchego and guyere both work well)


  1. Set oven broiler to 'high' and place rack in middle of oven
  2. In food processor, place sweet potato and mushrooms and process until pieces are roughly the size of grains of rice.
  3. In large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, paprika, rosemary, and thyme. Once eggs are completely beaten, stir in cheese
  4. Add coconut oil to 12" cast iron skillet and allow to melt. Add the shallot and garlic and sautee until translucent. Add in the sweet potato and mushroom mix, and cook stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown. When the mixture starts sticking to the pan, you'll know it's staring to brown! Add the kale, and stir into mixture. Continue to sautee for another 1-2 minutes, until kale is beginning to wilt. 
  5. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Stir to ensure egg reaches the bottom of the pan. Allow to cook until bottom of mixture is fully set.
  6. Transfer skillet to oven and broil ~4 minutes, until golden brown, puffed, and fully set. Remove from oven and let cool. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy! I love sweet potatoes, but don't love peeling them. Slippery buggers.

    My favorite (and ridiculously simple) way to prepare sweet potatoes is to scrub one, cut it in half lengthwise, rub it with oil (I use olive but apparently coconut oil is a thing), salt it, sprinkle cut side with cinnamon, then put cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 400. The result is buttery and sweet with no butter or sugar, carmelized up top and not stringy at all, almost like a mash inside the peel. And no peeling! :) But if you don't like the taste of sweet potatoes that won't work. :)

    ReplyDelete