Monday, July 4, 2016

I'll Take Medical Malpractice for $500, Alex!

I'm getting frustrated with my clinic. This is a year-old satellite office of one of the best fertility centers in the US. CCRM has phenomenal success rates, and they deal with some of the most challenging cases. At least, that's true of the Colorado location. 

I am using the Minnesota location, which is too new to have published success rates. So far, I've been impressed by the people, but increasingly horrified by the practices. What do I mean by that? Well, let's talk about went wrong last week alone:
  • The wrong medications were ordered for me. I should be taking Follistim, progesterone and estrogen. What was actually ordered? Those things, plus hcg, depot lupron, cetrotide, and menopur. Those are IVF drugs. I am not yet to the point of IVF.
  • No surprise here, when the wrong medications were ordered, the wrong treatment code was used with them. This caused my insurance to reject the request. I'm now fighting to have my actual drugs be covered, and there's a good chance I won't win the fight before I have to order them. 
  • The big one. DH went in for a SA. He checked in, presented his driver's license, and had his identity confirmed. Good, right? Then the nurse asked him to look at the paper and confirm his wife's name. The woman on the paperwork? Definitely NOT ME. First name was completely different. Think, "Jane" was the name on the paper, while my name is "Sandra" (totally not the real names). Last name shared the first three letters, and then was completely different.

Makes me wonder: were the medications ordered for me really Jane's? Did she get my meds?

Now, look, maybe this will work out well for Jane. Maybe she'll get pregnant if she uses DH's sperm. Maybe I'll get pregnant if I go straight to IVF. But, hell, these kinds of mistakes, from a clinic that's supposed to be one of the best, they don't inspire confidence. They make me wonder if I should go out of state if we need IVF. They make me wonder if I should go somewhere else in-state now

To paint a complete picture, let me also share the positive experiences I've had: CCRM Minneapolis is responsive to my inquires. Dr. B, the sole RE there, clearly uses the most recent, evidence-based medicine in making decisions. She also seems to be interested in a challenge, which I appreciate, seeing as how I AM a challenge. Everyone is unfaillingly pleasant to work with. Unlike my insurance company, I never feel that there's a lack of competence - just a massive lack of communication and fact checking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment