Monday, May 28, 2018

When Robins Attack

The way our house is constructed, the garage is level to the street, but the ground slopes down steeply from there, so the basement is almost completely above ground and the main floor is about one story up. Because of this, to enter the house, there's a deck that runs around the side of the garage to the front door and also to the kitchen, where a sliding glass door opens onto the deck.

For the last two summers, a robin family has made a nest under the deck. It's by the entrance to our basement where we store our yardwork tools and supplies, so it's not a great spot, because we sometimes scare Mrs. Robin off when she should be sitting on her eggs. Despite that, the two return each year, and mama robin is clearly sitting on eggs right now.

Mr. Robin is very protective. He chases us around the lawn, and for the last two days, he's taken to staring through the kitchen windows at us from a perch on top of the deck. Earlier today, I heard what I thought was DH in the kitchen. Upon entering the kitchen, I discovered that it was actually papa robin, repeatedly hopping up and pecking our sliding glass door. Hop, peck. Hop, peck. Hop, peck, peck, hop. My first thought? "Dude, I totally get it. Trying to have kids IS a lot like pounding your head against the wall!"

Here's hoping his brood is successful, and mine is too!

Welcome to Microblog Mondays! Want to learn more and read more? Head over to Stirrup Queens for the details!

3 comments:

  1. All that said, I am wishing you all very fruitful efforts for family expansion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! That would scare me, seeing a robin just pecking away at the window, trying to intimidate me... your robins are hardcore! I love what you said to him, and I hope they are successful but more that YOU are as well! Without having to bang your head against a door too much. :)

    ReplyDelete